Monday, October 26, 2009

Meet the Newcomers Part 5: Simone Eli

Team Scavenger Hunt
Strong Woman Competition

Simone Eli


HELLO!! I’m Simone Eli from GENOA, Ohio...yes a local. I am the oldest of five children. My brothers are Nolan (17) and Connor (13). I also have two sisters, Athena(11) and Sophie(7). My parents are Art and Rebecca Eli and they both attended BGSU. My father played baseball for the Falcons as well. I graduated from Genoa High School, and am currently changing my major from Education to Journalism to hopefully Sports Broadcast someday.

Our first official practice was Friday, and right off the bat the transition from high school basketball to college basketball began. We started learning right from the get-go . . .many offensive plays as well as defensive formations. Going from nearly an all zone defense on my high school team to an ALL MAN college defense has been the biggest challenge of not only my basketball career, but probably life. =] We are greatly pushed every second of practice not only by our coaches, but by our teammates as well. We are a family, so always remembering that no matter what, we’re going to pick each other back up. One major difference between high school and college ball is the “togetherness” and the “enthusiasm” of everyone during practice. There is, almost all the time, a very positive atmosphere, and just brings everyone closer, and performing even better.

Since the summer started, and the fall has begun, I have made 16 best friends, whom I love to see every day. Among them, the other “freshies”, Danielle and I have become very close. From our Wednesday night Cougar Town episodes to our Sunday night Desperate Housewives, our random trips to Dairy Queen and our 3 am fire alarms sending us outside for 40 minutes in front of Kreischer . . . I have developed not only memories, but friendships that will last a LIFETIME!

Go Falcons!
Simone Eli =]

1 comment:

Cug Snyd said...

Though I never had the privilege of coaching Simone in the game of basketball, I did have the distinct honor of being her cross country coach for two years at Genoa High School. In 20 years of coaching distance runners, I have never had anyone who possessed the strong combination of both passion and talent for her sport like Simone. No team of which Simone is a member will ever be cheated. BGSU women's basketball is the better for having her.

Coach Craig Snyder
Genoa Cross Country