Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Meet the Newcomers Part 3: Allison Papenfuss

Nice try...get back in the weight room...
Tamika and Allison

Allison Papenfuss


Greetings Falcon Fans!

I am one of five newcomers on the team this year. I’m from nearby Whitehouse, Ohio and graduated from Anthony Wayne High School. After playing Bowling Green High School every year in my high school career it’s interesting to be attending the university just down the road. But, at the same time I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. Even after so many weeks, the team is just amazing and you become so close to them and the coaching staff. It really is like a family.

With practice just starting it is definitely an adjustment. At first it was great to have some time to adjust with just classes and workouts, because at every turn we are reminded that this isn’t high school anymore. We are required to work harder in the weight room, in the classroom and on the court. The upperclassmen have set the bar pretty high for us! As the starting date for practice rolled around, nerves really started to come up; but when the date finally arrived, I was so happy to finally be playing again. This was the end of a long journey for me, as sadly, I was forced to sit out almost all of my senior year with a stress fracture in my leg, so to be playing pain free was very exciting for me.

Little did I know, the happiness of starting practice would die quickly when the first half hour of practice was more intense than the 2 hour practices I went through in high school. However, the team really comes together and the upperclassmen really look out for us. They make sure we understand everything, although we may annoy them with dumb questions sometimes, they never show it and are so patient with us.

There’s still a lot more practices to go before we are ready to play, and as much as I dread it, I’m so happy playing basketball and am so excited for the journey that we are on.

Roll Along,
Allison Papenfuss

No comments: