Friday, October 23, 2009

Meet the Newcomers Part 4: Jessie Tammerlano

Me and Chrissy
At a football game

Jessie Tammerlano


Hello, my name is Jessie Tamerlano and I am from North Royalton, Ohio. I have three sisters. My older sisters are Katie and Jackie, who is a junior on the soccer team here at Bowling Green. I also have a little sister Amanda who is a junior at North Royalton High School. My parents are Nick and Kathy Tamerlano. I went to North Royalton High School where I played four years of varsity basketball and soccer. My sophomore year, my sister Jackie and I made it to the state semis for soccer.

We had our first official practice last Friday the sixteenth, and it was an eye opener for my college career. I have never been through a three hour practice at one time. I just have to make sure my ADD does not set in. (just kidding) So far they have been going well, but very challenging. The upperclassmen really help us with the new plays and where to be on defense. Communication really makes a big difference in practice; it builds up everyone’s momentum and really gets people going.

From the start of the summer it was obvious that the team really got along. We were welcomed and became part of the family right away. It is a lot of fun being a part of this team, whether it’s eating in the cafĂ© with the other freshmen or going out to team activities. The first thing we ever did, as a team, was a team scavenger hunt organized by Jess Slagle. All of us freshmen thought that we were going be have to do some type of initiation to get into BKB (our team "sorority"), but luckily it was nothing like that. It was a fun time that allowed us to get to know our upperclassmen teammates better and their way of letting us know that we were now a part of something very special. We already have so many great memories, such as the team golf outing, the lunch with the coaches (killing them in cornhole with Danielle Havel), and the new Sunday night routine of watching Desperate Housewives together. Since I have gotten here, I have watched the first three seasons so I am all caught up with Chrissy and Danielle (we like to pretend as if we are part of the show). The coaches sometimes make fun of our silliness off the court, but we know on the court we are able to take each other seriously.

I look forward to my first season as a Falcon!!

Roll Along!

Jessie Tamerlano

No comments: