Monday, October 19, 2009

Meet the Newcomers Part 1: Danielle Havel

Tracy, D, and Lo
D and Chrissy...teammates again!

Danielle Havel


Hey, I’m Danielle Havel and a transfer student from Depaul University. My hometown is Carmel, Indiana. My parents are John and Melissa Havel; I have an older brother Eric who goes to Purdue University, and a twin sister Sarah who plays Volleyball at College of Charleston. A fun fact is that Chrissy Steffen and I played High School Basketball together where we won the 4A State Championship my senior year at Carmel High School.

Because I am a transfer student, I am not considered anything. It is always freshmen, sophomores, and Danielle. I classify myself as a freshman though, probably because I live in the dorm with all of them (it’s awesome by the way). We started official practice Friday of last week, and they are going fantastic. Even though practice goes for 3 hours, the team still manages to have fun while working. The practices here are much different then the ones I was used to at DePaul, but the philosophy is still the same: to work hard and win games.

The team is always so fun to be around, we all get along, and it helps make practice go that much faster. I have enjoyed events such as the golf outing, newbie’s lunch with the coaches and celebrating Tamika’s 22nd (over the hill) birthday. The lunch with the coaches was especially fun because Jessie Tamerlano and I destroyed all 4 coaches in cornhole that day.** Overall, I spend most of my time with the freshmen, where we all have different personalities but that is what makes us such a good fit. We do stupid things like create a facebook page for Chrissy’s cat Marley, and have famous team quotes such as: “Got it!!” or “What is going on?!” My transition from DePaul to Bowling Green has been well worth it, and the best decision for me. Whether it is the fun coaching staff, the college town of Bowling Green, or my teammates, there is never a dull moment in BG and I cannot wait for games to start!! (where I will be cheering on the sidelines!!)

Dhavel

**Just to clarify...What Danielle meant to say was that "Kevin and Brandi DOMINATED me and Jessie in cornhole that day and then took a victory lap around the yard."

No comments: