Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Meet the Newcomers Part 3: Tamika Nurse




Hey Falcon Faithful,

Let's all say hello to winter! To most, the sight of flurries is depressing. It means it's time to pull out the mittens, scarves, and winter caps. Surprisingly, I find the freezing wind slapping me in the face refreshing; it means I'm back near home. I haven't had a real winter in years.

I am a redshirt junior transfer from the University of Oregon. I was grew up in Hamilton, Ontario before spending three years playing for the Ducks. After three winters of constant rain I welcome the cold with open arms. I'd rather be cold than wet anyday!

I chose to finish my career at BG largely because of the great relationship I built with the coaching staff during my initial recruiting process in high school. They were a group of individuals who seemed to really enjoy their job and working with each other. It was their dedication to excellence that ensured me this was a place I could continue to grow as both a student and an athlete. The family-like atmosphere made me feel comfortable. Lastly, I wanted to win. I've spent three years sitting in front of a TV in March watching other teams play for an NCAA title. BG offered me the opportunity to participate in that tourney.

Well things have gone well thus far. Practice is really intense. It's the loudest practice facility I've ever been in. It's a testiment to how supportive we are of each other. I am learning the plays and how to run a new set of systems. I have to say coach Miller might need to have his own stand-up comedy show. His practice comments can be quite comical. You get the point though! All in all things are going really well. It's a great time to be a Falcon!

All the best, and of course Roll Along!
Tamika

2 comments:

drea said...

Tamika,

Congrats on finding a new home so you can continue your pursuit of playing basketball!

I always enjoyed watching you play, you clearly enjoy the game and are quite a player. Whatever raw deal the Ducks (Smith) gave you - forget about it - leave it behind and move on to bigger and better for yourself.

Good luck,

Joe in Eugene

Unknown said...

Tamika,
We are sorry to see you go. I know that you are doing well out there because you're a true baller. Whatever happen in Eugene...don't sweat it!

During your games, please put one finger in the air, so that we know you haven't forgotten about us out west!:)

FYI: you're BEAUTIFUL as well!:)