Monday, January 26, 2009

Mo's Trip to the Inauguration!!











Hello Falcon Fans!

I am proud to say that I witnessed history this week, in person! Most of you don't know this about me: I am willing to drive just about anywhere in the country for an event - weddings, birthday parties, baby showers, graduations, christenings, dinner, no distance is too far. So, when we elected our new president this past November, the first thing I said to myself was "I'm going!" Right afterwards I said "I hope Curt let's me go". Once I assured him I would be back for the Buffalo game, the plan was set in motion. Following our win against Akron on Saturday (congrats Golds on your 100th win) Clay and I started our journey. On the drive down, we passed a lot of fellow Inauguration goers (yes, I drive a bit fast) with all of their signs, and smiling faces. The atmosphere in Washington D.C. was like nothing I've ever been around. Being from a big city myself, my first thought was that the crowd would be a perfect site for thieves (Roos actually warned me to watch my pockets), but it was the furthest thing from the truth. Despite the cold everyone was helpful, happy and truly thankful that they could be there. Inauguration Day we left our friend's house at 6:30am to walk with hundreds of people over to the mall, and we were the late ones! Once we arrived and found our space, everyone around us talked, danced, sang, it seemed as if we were friends forever. The freezing people around me were from the warm states of Texas, Georgia, Florida, California but were able to be cheerful despite their total lack of knowledge on how to dress for cold weather. As my toes went numb (and I thought I would be able to tell my grandchildren how I lost my toes to frostbite at the Inauguration), Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President. I never thought the words "Congratulations Mr. President" would bring tears to my eyes, and that hugging a total stranger would mean so much to me. So, a special "Thank you" to Curt for allowing me to experience one of the better days of my life.

Monique Rosati

No comments: