Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My First Week as a Falcon

Freshman Logan Pastor, shown above from a high school game last year, was kind enough to share with us how her first week as a BG freshmen went - her blog is below.

On Friday, August 19, 2011, I arrived at BGSU and, with the help of my coaches, family, and teammates, moved into the brand new freshmen dorm, Centennial Hall. After spending the summer in Offenhauer with my roommate Kaila and fellow freshmen Jasmine, Shanique, and Deborah, I didn’t think it could get much better in dorm-life. But wow was I wrong! Centennial Hall is phenomenal. The best part (besides my teammates of course!) might be having our own personal bathroom…(except we have to clean it). Computer labs, flat screens tv’s, free laundry, the community kitchen – there are still things we haven’t discovered yet. The new dorm is simply incredible!

So following a fun opening weekend of hanging out with my teammates, and eating at the brand new dining facilities, I was ready to celebrate my birthday on Monday in style! Unfortunately, that meant it was time for the dreaded Gauntlet. We awoke early on Monday morning (yes, it was my birthday) and made our way to the track, where our coaches watched and supported us as we attacked the Gauntlet, a rugged fitness test we had trained for all summer. I will save you the gory details, but it’s definitely not the most fun way to spend a birthday. However, it was awesome seeing the team support one another the way we did, and it really showed me what being a part of this program is all about. The championships are great, but it is bond we share as friends and teammates that make this place so special.

The rest of the week almost seems a blur, with classes, weights, conditioning, and our first-ever individual workout on Friday. Rather than simply resting up over the weekend, we helped with visits from two really groovy recruits, and also interacted with the community at the Falcon Sports Kickoff on Saturday night. It was great meeting so many people who love and support BGSU Women’s Basketball!

The Gauntlet may not be the most ideal way of spending my birthday, but after my first week of college, I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 comment:

wbbfan said...

Logan,
Welcome to BGSU! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to meeting you (Sunday at the golf outing!) and watching you play very soon! Enjoy your time at BGSU......it goes by SO fast!
betsy