Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Scavenger Hunt


A couple months ago I decided that our team needed some sort of creative team activity. More than a few ideas crossed my mind, some more ambitious than others, but finally I came upon the idea to do a team scavenger hunt. With continued contemplation over these past few months, I finally planned out exactly how I wanted to do it. I split up the whole team into three smaller teams, with each team being headed by one of the captains (Clapper, Tara and Maggie) and rounded out by at least one freshman with everyone else filling in the gaps. Once teams were split up, I gave them a little packet of papers which laid out both the rules to the game and the lists of tasks they could complete. Each task was worth a certain amount of points and many of which contained bonuses and the ability to do it more than one time.

Beforehand, I’ll be honest, I was a little nervous about how it was going to play out, but it turned out to be a blast. Everyone was so much more competitive than I thought they were going to be! Since I made up the scavenger hunt, I didn’t think it was fair to be on a certain team, so every half hour I moved to another team. Seeing everyone set out strategies and then eventually seeing them complete their tasks was an absolute joy. I might have actually had more fun than they did!

After the scavenger hunt, we all reconvened at the house where a bunch of the girls live and had lunch – tacos! J After lunch, Clapper even set up a little arts and crafts activity for us. We all got to decorate wooden letters – the letters being the first letter of our names. Eventually they’re all going into the locker room. After it was all said and done, I think the whole day turned out to be a huge success. Not only did everyone have some fun, but we grew a little closer in the process too. The championship locker room has already begun!


--Jess Slagle

No comments: